Here are two tutorials for things that I made for the Goose’s third birthday.
Making a fondant tiara was a bit of a gamble. When I was drawing out how I wanted the Goose’s cake to look the tiara was the most imporant design feature. I really wanted it and I wanted it to work. I generally have a rule that it’s better to do simple fabulously than elaborate half-assed. I sort of threw this principle out of the window on the cake this year, but that’s OK. It was fun to make and I learned a lot.
Making the tiara turned out to be simple in theory. All I did was roll a rectangular piece of fondant and freehand a tiara pattern based on some images that I googled. I used a toothpick to cut it because I didn’t have anything better on hand. (I also did this with at least one baby strapped to me.) After it was cut out I simply layed it over a piece of parchment paper that I’d taped to a jar laying on its side. I left it out overnight and presto it was done.
The second item in this tutorial follows the fabulously simple rule much better. Marshmallow wands are easy and amazing. You need
- Large marshmallows
- Sucker sticks (I got mine from the cake supply store)
- Melting chocolate (I use white, but the little discs of chocolate come in a zillion colours)
- Sparkles (I use edible glitter)
- Food colouring (I just use the same stuff that I colour the fondant with)
To make them, simply
- Mix food colouring into jars of water. One for each colour wand that you wish to make. Make sure to stir it well.
- Put the marshmallows onto the sticks (try twisting rather than stabbing, it seems to work better)
- Dip the marshmallows into the water. The longer it stays, the more vibrant the colour, but since marshmallows are pure sugar they also tend to melt into the water. Try 10-30 seconds. Have some jars or glasses ready so you can let the marshmallows dry without touching – sort of like flowers in a vase.
- Melt the chocolate and dip the marshmallows in. Put them back into the jars to cool.
- Before the chocolate is cooled sprinkle on the glitter.